Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The Odyssey Known as NaNoWriMo 2011

Today I started the odyssey known as NaNoWriMo 2011. Basically for those who don’t know what that is, I’m writing a novel in a month. The total word count must reach 50,000 by November 30th.

The morning session went very well indeed. I knocked down 2000 words in about an hour and forty minutes. The prep leading up to this morning was fairly intense.

I’ve completely changed my evening/morning routine. For years, I’ve always taken my shower in the morning, usually after breakfast and Good Morning America. But in anticipation of needing the writing time in the mornings, I’ve moved my shower and shave time to evenings, right after Christi who has always taken an evening shower.

Also I’ve taken to setting up my coffee maker the night before as well, so all I have to do is hit the ON button and load up the toaster oven with a frozen pancake.

It’s not as though I’m able to just pop up and start writing at six am, which is the time I’ve decided on for an early morning start during November. There’s still the eating of breakfast, one or two other necessities, and the 2 minute wake-up rinse off in the shower. I still need time to dress, comb hair, and brush teeth. Still need to pop something in the toaster for Christi, get out her glass of water, yogurt, and vitamins.

There’s the popping of my more excessive vitamins. There’s the dog biscuit for Linus and letting him outside and back inside. Lastly there’s seeing Christi off with a helpful hand in juggling all the things that need to get into the car and a life-sustaining kiss good-bye each morning. So even though I get up at six, I don’t get to start writing until a few minutes after seven, after I wave good-bye to Christi from the kitchen window.

I still feel as though this plan is extremely workable for me. When seven rolls around, I’m wide awake, fed, caffeinated, and alone in the house. My plan is to keep this up Monday through Thursday.

Fridays will need some adjustments, but I should get in two hours of writing without a struggle.

Saturdays I’ll get up at six, if at all humanly possible, and get to the gym for a second workout. The writing might need to happen in the afternoon while Christi is napping.

Sundays I’m going to try to sleep late, seven-thirty (?), if possible. The writing time might be shorter on Sunday, since I might need a break and extra time for spending with Christi.

Anybody else doing NaNoWriMo this year? Let me know how it's going!

No comments: