Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Imaginative Empathy



I'm currently reading a sci-fi book entitled The Mountain in the Sea which deals with Artificial Intelligence and efforts to communicate with a non-human lifeform. One of the major themes is about longing for connection and the difficulties of communication. The characters have gotten me thinking about my own level of empathy for others, a crucial ingredient for connection and communication. In the novel there's a guy who has been kidnapped and enslaved. As he is forced to work with other slaves, he realizes how he has never cared too much about other people. He's only cared about himself. In the midst of his slavery, he starts to listen and actually pay attention to his fellow slaves, where they came from, what they are thinking, and how they are feeling. 

All this has stimulated the observation that I too need to grow in that area. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I imaginatively explored the plights and conditions of others through poetry and writing? It not only would offer the potential of interesting writing, but it would also aid me in developing greater empathy for others. I need to get reacquainted with poets like Norman Dubie who excel at monologues from the point of view of other people, including historical figures. 

Friends working in a soup kitchen
Of course, empathy without caring action is useless. I need to make it priority to find ways to put my empathy for others to good use. Even if that starts as a simple phone call or visit to support someone with my presence. After doing a bit of free writing this morning about homelessness, I texted an old friend who has experienced that. Writing led to seeking connection, which is the way it should be. 

Lastly, allow me to note that I decided yesterday to adopt the practice of 20 minutes of writing daily. Part of the commitment includes doing this writing no matter what the circumstances of my surroundings or the distractions of tasks, guests, travel, or illness. What I'm aiming for is the discipline of writing no matter what else is going on. It seems an achievable goal which could conceivably lead to a good habit. 


No comments: